Sunday, August 28, 2011

Keepin' It Simple: I Love God, the Children Say

My 4-year-old Goddaughter, her 6-year-old sister, and their parents and baby brother and I were Mass companions today.  I’ve attended several of the girls birthday celebrations and have been included with the family in several celebrations, but I wanted to join them in a deeper way, in the greatest celebration of all—the Mass.  It was a while between this inspiration and suggesting it to the parents.  Perhaps I worried they’d reject my offer, or that I couldn’t really commit the time.  But the mom and dad, wonderful friends of mine, graciously allowed me to strengthen the Godmother relationship in this way.  They bought a few workbooks about the Mass, and today I joined their journey.  As I paged through the books with the girls, there were some tough questions.  Why are Jesus and God invisible, for example.  Why was Jesus all bloody on the cross?  I didn’t want to say too much, not knowing the extent of the parent’s previous lessons about torture, mortality and the hereafter.  I couldn’t help thinking of the time my friend’s daughter asked what a condom was and I rather directly told her how it was used.  That time, my friend lovingly reminded me that it was her role to do such teaching.  And although we’ve had many laughs over that conversation, it raised my awareness that some things are better left unsaid. Anyway, back to this morning.  The kids stuck with about half of a book I read them that detailed the happenings of the Mass.  They could only take so much being read to—they needed to take immediate action.  Both wrote cards to Jesus/God (Veggie Tales having previously explained they were the same) that said “I love God” or “I love you God.” And they signed their names. I loved the simplicity of their understanding of faith and church at this moment and what it calls for from them.  These kids are among the most joyful and affectionate whom I’ve ever met. They emanate love. So if they can know that the same actions they receive and give are connected with God, well I couldn’t have asked for better Sunday teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment